Liffey Youth Poetry Prize
The Liffey Youth Poetry Prize is an exciting new opportunity for aspiring Tasmanian poets. Established by Ten Days on the Island, the prize offers the chance to have young writers showcase new and existing works alongside those by luminaries of the Australian literary scene, all as part of the 2021 Ten Days on the Island Festival.
The theme for the prize is Looking Out & Looking In – a reflection on the tumultuous year that was, and how it has shaped and changed us.
There are two age groups for prizes; 8 – 12 and 13 – 18. The winner of each age group will receive a cash prize of $400 and be invited to present their work during Ten Days on the Island festival in March 2021 and on Your Afternoon with Helen Shield on ABC Radio Hobart and ABC Northern Tasmania.
The Liffey Youth Poetry Prize has now shut and Ten Days on the Island would like to thank to all of those who have entered, our winners will be announced on 9 March ahead of A Weekend Poetical at Liffey Hall on 12 – 13 March
Terms and Conditions
TERMS & CONDITIONS
1. Entries close at 5pm on the 12th of February 2021.
2. Your poem must not include your name or any identifying marks. This means any words that the judges can link directly to you. Names of places and/or first names of people are, on the whole, acceptable. Just be sure there are no words in the poem that identify you as the poet.
3. Entry is online only. Head to www.tendays.org.au/info/liffey-youth-poetry-prize to complete your entry form.
4. Entries must be the original work of the applicant. All authors must provide their own name on the entry form for administrative purposes. If you would prefer your poem to be published under a pseudonym, please note it on the entry form.
5. Entrants are welcome to submit up to three poems. There is no entry fee.
6. You must acknowledge any quotes from other writers that you use.
7. The line limit is 50 lines maximum.
8. A ‘suite’ of poems as one entry must clearly be a connected group of poems intended to be read as a whole.
9. Entrants must be Tasmanian residents.
10. Staff of Ten Days on the Island and their family members are not eligible to enter the Liffey Poetry Prize competition.
11. Entrants must be aged between 8 and 18 years.
12. The judges’ decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into with either the judges, the staff or the board of Ten Days on the Island.
13. By entering the Liffey Poetry Prize, the author gives exclusive and unlimited permission to Ten Days on the Island to publish his/her poem in print, online or any other means if selected by the judges. The copyright to the poem is always retained by the author. As promoter of the Liffey Youth Poetry Prize, Ten Days on the Island will have First Publication Rights to all submitted poems and may use any title or phrase from any entry for the purpose of promoting the competition and the Ten Days on the Island Festival.
14. Award winners may be required to participate in media-related events associated with the competition.
15. Ten Days on the Island cannot be held responsible for errors by entrants entering this competition.
16. By supplying your contact details you agree to us sending you opt-out correspondence.
17. The winners will be notified by Friday 19th February 2021.